 CAD / 15356
Re: Problem with LDView
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:35:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim David wrote:
I have a problem with LDView. When I open any file it gets as far as Calculating
Size and crashes out.

Error signature
AppName: ldview.exe AppVer: 3.2.0.5 ModName: atioglxx.dll
ModVer: 6.14.10.5014 Offset: 004353b7

It appears that the crash is happening in the ATI OpenGL driver.  (Note: I'm not
saying that the ATI driver is responsible for the crash, just that that's where
it's crashing.)  Some things to try:

Create the following DWORD registry key and set its value to 1:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreAllOGLExtensions

If that fixes it, then probably LDView's use of one specific extension is
causing the problem.  You can try to figure out which one by changing the above
registry setting to 0, then setting the following DWORD keys to 1 one at a time:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreVBO
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreMultiDrawArrays
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreAniso
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnorePixelFormat
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreMultisample
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnoreVAR
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\IgnorePBuffer

If IgnoreAllOGLExtensions doesn't fix the problem, none of the above will
either, since IgnoreAllOGLExtensions is equivalent to setting them all to 1.
However, if IgnoreAllOGLExtensions does fix the problem, then hopefully only one
of the above needs to be set to 1 to also fix the problem, and then you still
have all the other functionality enabled.  If you have questions about setting
registry keys, send me an email.

Another thing you could try would be to update your graphics driver to the
latest available one (assuming you haven't done that already).  While I already
stated that the ATI driver isn't necessarily at fault here, the crash did happen
in the ATI driver, so it MAY be at fault, and updating it may fix the problem.

Note that even if one of the LDView-specific registry settings fixes the
problem, updating the video driver still might be good, as it would allow LDView
to run without requiring functionality to be disabled.  On a side note, my
recently purchased computer has an ATI video card in it (HD 2600 XT), and it
works fine with LDView.

--Travis