 CAD / 1535
Re: ftp://silo.riv.csu.edu.au/pub/ldraw no longer exists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:15:14 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:
Huw Millington <hmillington@cix.co.uk> wrote:
I just tried downloading the original Ldraw installation ZIP to install • on a
new machine, only to find that the pub/ldraw directory seems to have • been
removed from the ftp server.
I think I have a copy on an archive CD somewhere at home, but is it
available elsewhere on the 'net? If not, perhaps it should be. The • memorial
would be the logical place.
The original files have been available at my mirror of the L-CAD parts
updates for a very long time.

I think this should trigger a change in the current policy concerning James'
original files.  Due to copyright issues and possible future conflicts with
James' estate, the files were never duplicated for retrieval in any official
way.

Terry, Jacob, have you heard or seen any indication of permission from
James' family to allow accessing the original LDraw files from another
server?  Have you heard any indication otherwise?  Are there any plans to
make these files available on the JJM?  On future servers, such as
ldraw.org?

But how important is this issue, really?  At least a gazillion different
people have kept copies of the original files, several available for public
download across the net.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)