 CAD / 15287
Re: 50 x 50 baseplate with the 'Road 3-way Curve with Gray Pattern'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:38:57 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:18:39 GMT, you wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
In lugnet.cad, David Shifflett wrote:
I was hoping someone could help me with another old part,
the 50 x 50 baseplate with the 'Road 3-way Curve with Gray Pattern'

This is set 078, part # x1460px1

It should be easy to build... would you have a good photo of it, viewed from
top?

Philo

I could take some pics of it.
How would I learn about modeling parts?

These guys are too modest to plug a lot of their own work, but I
learned the basics of making parts (and of Ldraw too) from Virtual
Lego by Tim Courtney, Steve Bliss and Ahui Hearera.  I still refer to
it all the time and highly recommend it.

I understand that the book LDraw Power Tools is also an excellent
reference, though I haven't had a chance to read it myself.

Both of these tomes are now getting a little out of date, though, with
the advances in Ldraw tools over the past few years, including a
number of really handy parts authoring tools written by Philo and
others.  I hope that someone is working on a new book that will
incorporate a lot of this stuff, especially the wonderful parts making
tools, so that more parts authors can build parts quicker.

I know I still have a long way to go... the most recent part I
designed, http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/55423.dat
took me as long to design (about 10 hours) as
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/43560c01.dat by
Philo.  As you can see, Philo is still quite a ways ahead of me on the
learing curve, and I think that was the 6th or 7th piece I designed.

Anyway, go for it.  The baseplate piece you propose will be a good
starter for you - not too complex, but complex enough to get your feet
wet, especially with the various curved bits.  These guys are all very
helpful, and when you submit your part to the parts tracker they will
hack it to death with nit-piks.  But respond to them there and you
will learn!  Ask how to fix what they point out.  Ask what they heck
they are talking about when they go on about BFCing the part or
watching for bowtie quads.

Good luck!  And hopefully the last hurdles to the next parts update
will soon be overcome and we can get things moving again around here.

(Someone please write that book on parts authoring and using the
miriad of awesome tools - I would love to write some more parts but
don't have the time now... but if someone could outline how to use all
the various shortcuts in one place, that would really help!)

-Matt :)

  Matt Chiles
  1006 Horseshoe Bend Rd
  Centerville, WA  98613 USA