 CAD / 14355
14354  |  14356
Subject:
3D modeling and animation software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 03:00:40 GMT

Hello,
From time to time I have read posts in this group about 3D modeling and
animation software and would like to ask for opinions.  I have tried quite a few
modeling programs (mostly free or low-cost) but have been unable to find
anything that I am happy with.  This is what I am looking for:
1) Cross-platform: OS X and Windows
2) Relatively low cost (below $1000, and preferably below $500 for an academic
license).
3) Ability to import LDRAW models (with existing scripts or plug-ins)
4) Good support for animation (brick films)
5) Good scripting language (preferably Python) (A good SDK for plug-ins is also
an advantage.)
6) Good documentation
7) Reliability

For a year or two I have been working with Blender, and for much of that time I
thought I had found the ideal solution: It's free, cross-platform, and has
Python scripting.  I found some LDRAW import scripts that worked pretty well and
thought I was all set.  However, I ran into a lot of problems with commands that
worked in one model but not in another, problems with exporting to game formats
(which is pretty much off-topic for this group), and other
reliability/consistency problems.

I started looking at other programs and this is what I've come up with (in
addition to Blender):

Carrara Studio Pro
------------------
+ available for OS X and Windows
+ low price
- no scripting language as far as I can tell

Luxology modo 3D
----------------
+ good educational price and even better licensing terms ("user-centric
licensing"--one person can use the software on any number of computers running
any OS)
+ Lua scripting (I thought I saw something about Python scripting, but maybe it
was Perl--ugh)
- no support for animation (that I could find)
- my PowerBook G4 can't run it (but there's hope, I might be getting a MacBook
this year)

Cinema 4D
---------
+ scripting language (but is proprietary)
+ OS X and Windows
? not sure about import/export formats

AC3D
----
+ low price
+ OS X, Windows, Linux
- no support for animation

Caligari GameSpace
------------------
+ Python scripting language
- Windows only
- Supports animation, but might not export to video
Caligari also has TrueSpace 6 and 7 that are more expensive.  They have more
features, but I couldn't find anything about scripting.

Many or all of these have trial versions, but the time required to learn this
kind of software doesn't allow me to test all of these.  Besides, a lot of the
problems and limitations that I've encountered in the past have happened when I
was doing involved projects that required more than a trial version.

Am I missing any major possibilities here?  I deliberately haven't mentioned
Maya and some of the expensive packages because of cost.

How do these programs do in terms of reliability and consistency (which is my
main complaint with Blender).

Sorry if this is too open-ended, but I am having a hard time finding something
good and would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Brian Durney