 CAD / 14142
Re: tool for patterned parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:06:52 GMT

mikeheide wrote:
I thought about a tool to easily author patterned parts.

It should be used like quad2dat but with the following change:

If a part is scanned with a scanner and the part is not flat it should
be able to use the curvature of the part (that already has to exist
as a LDraw part) to make a parallel projection onto that curvature.
(sorry for my bad english).

Is it really worth the work? How many patterned parts have the pattern on a
curved surface, except for the minfig heads?

A couple of years ago I did start making a program that 'back-projected' a
bitmap and let you draw the triangles and quads by hand on top of that. It
includes some rudimentary intelligence, for example snapping to previously
drawn points.

It didn't get finished then, and will probably never be. It's written in
Borland Delphi 5, and anyone interested in taking over is welcome to the
source code.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm