 CAD / 14141
Re: tool for patterned parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:38:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
I thought about a tool to easily author patterned parts.

It should be used like quad2dat but with the following change:

If a part is scanned with a scanner and the part is not flat it should
be able to use the curvature of the part (that already has to exist as a
  LDraw part) to make a parallel projection onto that curvature.
(sorry for my bad english).

Is anybody able to make such a tool?

cu
MikeHeide

Hi Mike,

Such a task would not be easy at all (although should be possible if you rely on
human input to rub out mistakes). My susggestion would actually to have two
programs... one to de-project and make a bitmap image and another to reproject.
That way the bitmap can be edited by hand in between.

I also find that the system of quad2dat doesn't make good patterns the majority
of the time due to the fact that most Lego prints are based on combinations of
simple shapes rather than bitmap images. I tried to remedy this once by trying
to convert an image to a series of triangles following the edge lines but to do
that properly is quite a difficult task and beyond my rudimentary grasp of
computer graphics theory.

Tim