 CAD / 14147
Re: tool for patterned parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:25:38 GMT

Andrew Westrate schrieb:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
I thought about a tool to easily author patterned parts.

It should be used like quad2dat but with the following change:

If a part is scanned with a scanner and the part is not flat it should
be able to use the curvature of the part (that already has to exist as a
  LDraw part) to make a parallel projection onto that curvature.
(sorry for my bad english).

Is anybody able to make such a tool?

cu
MikeHeide

I used to do minifig heads using quad2dat, but not in the standard way, since
the minifig head template in quad2dat would stretch out the pattern in wierd
ways.  Instead, I would use the template for a flat part like the minifig torso,
and then use a perl script to project the resulting quads to the proper 3d
shape.  Overall, it was not real convenient, but not too hard to do, either.

I can mail you the script if you'd like.
Thank you, you have already send it to me.

But I am unable to get perl running on my system. Maybe I have the wrong
package installed. I have to investigate this some day.

Thanks so far
MikeHeide