 CAD / 14106
Re: Pathologically huge ldraw files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 05:31:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I'm trying to do some preliminary benchmarks on some software I'm
writing that manipulates ldraw files.  I was wondering if anyone could
provide me with links to some extremely large dat or mpd files of actual
lego models.  It's easy enough to programatically construct a large
ldraw file that's just junk, but I'd like to test the performance of my
software on larger files that are still actual lego models so I can
usefully profile its performance on real world cases.   Thanks.
Mark

As others have pointed out, Datsville is a very good example of a
"pathologically huge" ldraw file.  In addition to being huge, it seems to have
more nesting than you would normally see, since each building was originally a
separate model.  I know this caused a crash on an earlier LDView version.
(Fixing the crash didn't help there, since that version of LDView needed more
than 2GB to load the model.)

The current LDView loads it in around 664MB (VM size; 528MB resident size) if
you have edge lines disabled, low quality studs enabled, and memory usage set to
"Low".  I do get about 1FPS on my system, though.  Interestingly enough, setting
LDView's memory usage setting to "Medium" results in a smaller 382MB resident
size, although the VM size is larger (670MB).  And it runs at 1.8FPS.
Yeeeeee-Haaaaawwww!

--Travis