 CAD / 13898
Re: Old Dithered Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:57:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Lachmann wrote:

To make it short:
- Shell MLCad still support dithered colors?
- Are there any replacements for this dithered colors 256 to 511?

I definitely think MLCad should continue to recognize the color numbers.  When I
wrote LDView, I decided not to dither the colors, and just calculate the final
color.  I really think this is the best way to go (at least if the display is
true color, anyway).  Some say that the dithering adds texture, which is seen as
a good thing.  I don't agree with that, personally.  The actual appearence of
the texture varies greatly based on the physical pixel pitch of the user's
display.  Additionally, they really don't reproduce the actual Lego plastic.

Having said that, I think most LDraw-compatible tools nowadays support the
24-bit direct color representations of 0x02rrggbb (solid) and 0x03rrggbb
(transparent).  These aren't allowed in official parts files, but should work
just about anywhere else.  My opinion is that you should have the dithered
colors hidden away somewhere (either disabled by default with a check box to
enable, or inside a new dialog).  Then make the ones you have definitions for
(chrome, gold, black rubber, etc) more easily accessible.  (Right now, you have
to pretty much know what their number is in order to find them, since there are
so many dithered colors.)

You already have support for 24-bit colors.  Once you add support for
ldconfig.ldr to make it so that all the colors in there become easiliy
accessible, I think your current location for the 24-bit colors seems fine.

Having said that, that feature doesn't appear to be well-known.  There was a big
color thread here recently that showed that most people didn't know about the
24-bit colors.  Since they work with L3P, they're especially useful right now
while MLCad doesn't support ldconfig.ldr.  Once ldconfig.ldr becomes supported
by both MLCad and L3P, I think being able to easily specify arbitrary colors
becomes less important.

Since there's no way of knowing when L3P will support the extra colors, you
might consider an export option that converts any colors not directly recognized
by L3P into 24-bit colors.  The following comes from the L3P web page:

L3P now knows these colors (apart from 16 and 24):
0-15, 17-23, 25-28, 32-47, 57, 256-511, 0x02000000-0x07FFFFFF.
Color 256 is used for black rubber.

I realize that MLCad is its own separate program, and adding code to work around
limitations in L3P is a hack, but a whole lot of people use MLCad and L3P
together.

--Travis