 CAD / 13186
Re: Small insight into LEGO CAD system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:01:53 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

In lugnet.cad, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

On 17/08/05, Kevin L. Clague <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>

Dave wondered shy we had our own CAD system.  I told him it was because we
assumed that LEGO would not allow us to use theirs.

<snip>

So did you get any reaction to suggest we might be able to use theirs?
And is theirs vastly in advance of LDraw with MLCad or LeoCAD. It is
possible that they just use a commercial CAD system like SolidWorks or
ProE with their own parts library. Even just having that parts library
would be a goldmine though.

Dave wondered why we didn't start with LEGO's CAD.  I responded that I doubted
LEGO would have let us at the time.  LEGO has hundreds of thousands of dollars
invested in their CAD system, and that it would be foolish to give that away,
allowing competitors to use it.

LDD is LEGOs offering of CAD system for us to use.

Dave was very impressed at the facilities available in the LDraw family of CAD
tools.

Did he mention an diferentiation between the system they use to design
parts (that get sent to manufacturing) and some sort of system they
assemble parts into models???

It seems to me in my limited exposure to the model deisgners that they
tend to work physically with the bricks, when designing a model.

I would think LEGO's system would be oriented towards smal scale details
for part design, and then something else for documenting and printing
instructions for models.

Or am I wrong, did he say how much they use computers for model design
before playing with the brick?

    -Kyle