 CAD / 12997
Re: non-CA parts [was: Re: 3 noble quests for ldraw part creators]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:54:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
Any pre CA parts are merely copyrighted.  While technically
redistributing the non-CA files is a copyright infringement,
there is really very little risk that any non-CA author would
complain.  They did originally contribute the part to the LDraw
community so they would be redistributed.  (Otherwise, they
would  not have contributed the part.)  If somebody did
complain, a simple "cease and desist" letter would suffice
to prevent further redistribution.  Taking LDraw.Org to
court and suing for damages would be a total waste of
time and money.

All true.  And we should be able to continue distributing non-CA files under the
same (non) terms we've been using for several years.

I guess what I am trying to say is that as long as the non CA
parts are marked as such, there is really no reason not to
distribute them along with the CA parts.

Right.  But we need to, at least, have separate distributions.  The CA library
can be distributed via more channels (for example, the Debian distro).  We can
only defensibly distribute the non-CA files via LDraw.org.

Lastly, how many parts are we talking about here?  10's,
100's, etc.?

At least hundreds.  But some/many of those files may have older versions that
*are* CA-compliant.

Steve