 CAD / 12884
12883  |  12885
Subject:
LPub and margins, margins, margins......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:20:44 GMT

I had added support for callout instance_count support, and when debugging it
(for all possible placements around the callout image) things got very messy.

I decided to retreat and try again.  I rewrote my step packing code (used by
both callout and multi_step) down to one algorithm rather than two.  I had one
for horizontal and a second for vertical.  They were virtually identical, except
that the names used for referencing X and Y were swapped.  I rewrote it so that
the dimensions are simply selecting an element of a two dimensional array.  We
just swap indicies for horizontal vs. vertical.  Now I have to debug it.  I also
separated the actual placement from rendering to plan for future growth.

But...... All of this has gotten me onto the issue of margins......

The first issue is units.  I'd like to switch from margins in pixels to margins
in inches or centimeters (user chooses).  I'd also like to define page sizes the
same way.  From there, LPub can calculate the pixels.

The second issue is what do margins relate to..... LPub provides lots of
margins, but they are haphazard at best.  A general placement of something
involves providing:
  preposition - INSIDE vs OUTSIDE

  placement - TOP, BOTTOM, RIGHT, LEFT, TOP_LEFT, BOTTOM_LEFT, TOP_RIGHT,
BOTTOM_RIGHT,CENTER

  justification - in the case of OUTSIDE and TOP or BOTTOM, the justification
can be LEFT, CENTER or RIGHT.  In the case of OUTSIDE and RIGHT or LEFT, the
justification can be TOP, CENTER, or BOTTOM.  In the case of INSIDE, there is no
justification.

  relative_to - this can be PAGE, ASSEM, PLI, CALLOUT
    PAGE implies INSIDE
    PLI  implies OUTSIDE
    ASSEM can have preposition of either INSIDE or OUTSIDE
    CALLOUT can have preposition of either INSIDE or OUTSIDE

  Back to the topic of margins.

  For PLIs or STEP_NUMBER being placed relative to the PAGE, the margins applied
should be applied to the edges of the page.  Should I have PAGE MARGINS, or
MARGINS for the BORDER of the page?

  For STEP_NUMBER being placed relative to the PLI, should I have PLI MARGINS or
PLI BORDER MAGINS?

  For PLI relative to ASSEMBLY, should I have ASSEM BORDER MARGINS, or ASSEM
MARGINS?

  On the topic of packed steps (CALLOUT or MULTI_STEP), a number of margins come
into play:

  1.  Spacing between a given assembly step's image and its STEP_NUMBER
      ASSEM BORDER MARGINS?

  2.  Spacing between a given assembly step's image and its callout(s)
      ASSEM BORDER MARGINS?

  3.  Spacing between a given assembly step's image and text, and the
      next step's assembly image and its text.

      I don't really have an answer to this one.

  4.  Spacing between columns or rows within a packed step composite, and
      the visual separator drawn between the columns/rows

      ASSEM BORDER MARGINS?
      (CALLOUT/MULTISTEP) SEPARATOR MARGINS?  This is a parallel to the
      BORDER MARGINS concept.

  5.  Spacing between the entire composed image its instance count (only
      for CALLOUTS).

      (CALLOUT/MULTI_STEP) MARGINS?

  6.  Spacing between the whole compisited image and its border.

      CALLOUT MARGINS?  MULTI_STEP has invisible border and margins = (0,0)

  I think that MARGINS relative to BORDER and SEPARATOR are the right way to go.

  I think this clarifies things for me except PAGE NUMBER.  What defined the
margins between the PAGE NUMBER and the BORDER of the PAGE.  My intution says it
is not PAGE BORDER MARGINS...... Typically page numbers are outside the margins.

  Any suggestions?  PAGE NUMBER MARGINS comes to mind, where the margins are
relative to the BORDER, but not relative to the PAGE BORDER MARGINS......  I'm
very open to suggestions.

  Please let me know what you think.

Kevin