 CAD / 12007
Re: Postcard from Poland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:32:36 GMT

shaggie wrote:

Well, I'm still novice with POV-Ray and I have some troubles with
lights. Middle lamppost is probably lighted by light sources located
in the building.¬ ¬

Maybe you could use a spotlight, so that the light from inside the building
is not directed at the post?

Or you could experiment with fade_distance and fade_power so the light
doesn't reach that far, I did that in my 1998 Christmas Card,
http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/merry.htm

Here's the POV-code for the candles (there are 19 of them, and they are the
only lights in that picture)

#declare Color46_t = texture {
pigment { rgbf <1,0.905882,0.211765,0.90> }
finish { ambient 0.6 diffuse 0 phong 0.5 phong_size 40 reflection 0.9
refraction 1 ior 1.25 }
}

#declare light_point = light_source {
    <0, -8, 0>
    color rgb 0.5*<1,0.905882,0.211765>
    fade_distance 60.0
    fade_power 1.6
    looks_like {_3062_dot_dat texture { Color46_t } }
}

Then I just replaced each
object { _3062_dot_dat matrix ... }
with
object { light_point matrix ...}

The fade_distance and fade_power obviously depends on the size of the model.
It took quite a lot of experimentation to get the overall light level right.

And then there is the radiosity variation, much softer pictures, muuuuch
longer rendering time. My private masterpiece:

Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery:   http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm