 CAD / 11964
Re: New to MLCad - some questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:21:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
1:
The grid: When placing components as normal, I dont have any problems. But when
I tried to use the light holder and adding a light to it (just as the example
car, with 1x1 plate on the 1x1 brick sideways), I am lost. I cannot get it to
snap, nor adding pieces to that.
And I can not come back to the normal grid/snap, and build on to the rest - also
I'd like to copy/paste a SNOT part, which seems hard to do.

This takes a lot of getting used to. The problem is that when you rotate the
plate 90 degrees, the arrow keys continue to work as though it was stud up -
left moves it 1/2 stud left, up moves 1/2 stud back etc, instead of 1 plate or
whatever you want. There are a few ways to make it easier:

a) when you are building a SNOT assembly, build it as a separate sub-model,
studs up, then place the sub-model in the main model and rotate it.

b) build it in the main model, studs up, then select all the parts (see below)
and rotate them all at once.

c) Change your grid settings as you do different SNOT sections. The settings are
in Settings|General|Change, then the Step, Grid, Snap tab.

The problem coming back to the normal grid snap is discussed below WRT the
inventory list.

2: Same problem with angle
When using a 1x4 hinge, I'd like to turn it into the wanted angle, and build on
there - but I cannot get the angle I need. Nor place bricks on them, or return
to normal mode (as above).

See above.

3: finding bricks IN the construction. When I place/move a brick into a wall, I
cannot get it out from there.

The inventory list is your friend!! Right under the toolbar to the right of the
parts list, there should be a box saying "Active Model:". If there isn't, move
your mouse over the border just below the toolbar, and drag it down.

Under the "Active Model:" prompt is a list of the parts you have in your model,
and it is generally in the order you added them. It is always a good idea to
keep that list in some logical order, ie: group parts that go together. You can
select multiple parts from that list as in any windows list using left-click,
shift-click and ctrl-click, the parts you have selected will show as selected in
the views boxes below as well. Once selected, you can move and rotate all the
selected items together as you would normally with a single item. You can also
drag them to a different point in the list - when you drop the selected parts
they will be placed before the line your mouse is on when you drop.

The problem coming back to the normal grid snap is that when you place a new
piece, it inherits the rotation values of the piece you add it after, ie: the
piece above it in the inventory list. To get back to the original rotation
values, simply select a piece in the list that is "normal" and add your new
piece after it. You can then drag it to the correct point in the list, and
continue from there.

4: View programme - I just want a front view, turn it a bit. Can it be that
hard?
Well, when I try to turn it, it turns in more than one angle, and in a way I
dont understand.

Yeah I also have problems with the viewing other than the default angles. I
usually save and view using LDview when I want to check something from a weird
angle.

6: copy paste
How does one select a 3D object and copy that?

See above about the inventory list. And let me repeat, because it is important:
The inventory list IS your friend! There is a bit of a learning curve, but once
you get used to using it, complex models become much easier.

Hope this helps.

ROSCO