 CAD / 11945
Re: Starting with LDraw - or something like that.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:32:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim David wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi all!

Once I downloaded LDraw, so I could work with designs when I am at work abroad
etc., but failed.

It seems to be a DOS based programme, which does not work under windows 2000. I
had problems with finding the functions, it works way too fast (when moving a
brick, it fly of the screen), and finding any menus was hard.
It crashed a number of timer, also my computer, and it would not exit, then it
just hang.

Is there a windows version, or a simpler version to use?

I was also looking for some help, which keys/functions there are.

Sonnich

There is a Windows based version (or rather another program) called MLCad
(http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/ ). It uses the Ldraw part files but provides
a much more intuative and visual method of building models. The installation is
a bit complicated (you have to download the parts files and then unpack them
before using it) but Ahui Herrera has produced an all in one installer
(http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=104
)which set up the software (and other useful Lego CAD software) pretty
painlessly. I used it the last time I reinstalled my O/S and quite frankly, it's
great!

Using this I get an error Invalid path (no Parts and/or P dir found)!
It tells me the base path is C:\LDraw\Apps\MLCAD, but as I see it, it asks for
the parts path, hwich is C:\LDraw\parts\
But that doesnt work either.

A good place to look for help and downloads is
http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=126

Tim