 CAD / 116
Re: [MODEL] Boogie.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:35:31 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@NOSPAM.ctp.com> writes:

Todd Lehman writes:
Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
Todd: Since you already have special code to launch LDLite, would it be
possible to also provide a "save as" link that doesn't have the file name as
ldraw.cgi?

I don't think it is possible, no.  :-(

Well, then I must be seeing things, because I could SWEAR it used to work that
way. The CGI filename is interposed now, where before it used to be some random
name that ended in .dat...

I think my browser (Netscape 4.x) is doing the same thing -- but not
necessarily in that order -- ldraw.cgi first, then random filenames.

Here's the algorithm I believe Netscape is using:

   - Look for an empty spot to download the file into the temp directory.

      - First try to use the name of the script as extracted from the URL
        (e.g. ldraw.cgi).

      - If ldraw.cgi already exists in the temp directory, choose a random
        filename instead (e.g. V1A411AN.cgi).

   - Download the file into that name and launch the helper app, passing it
     that filename.

   - Leave the file there until someone or something deletes it.

--Todd