 CAD / 10868
Re: Question: polygons filling a t-shape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 07:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But I thought that (rgarding quad 2 in the last diagram) collinear points were
considered an error by the checkers, so that when you submit your part to parts
tracker it would be flagged???

Yes, L3P detects and warns about the collinear points of the quad.
In the case of splitting the T why don't you just use triangles?
The renderers do that anyway, but then you can take control of the splitting.

I believe quads are mainly a convenient shortcut for making rectangular surfaces.
If you are in the process of subdividing a polygon there's no reason to search for
triangles that can be paired into a quad (though it saves a few bytes of file size).
/Lars