 CAD / 10867
Re: Question: polygons filling a t-shape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 04:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   But I thought that (rgarding quad 2 in the last diagram) collinear points were considered an error by the checkers, so that when you submit your part to parts tracker it would be flagged???

I’m not sure if it does or not.

After posting the previous post, I realized that I was mistaken about my alternate version being “ok”. I just realized that it could result in the same rendering artifacts that using a triangle for polygon 2 would produce. The reason for this is that rendering hardware will split the quad into two triangles prior to rendering.

There are two ways to split the quad, one that would be fine, and the other that would result in a triangle and a line. There’s no way to tell the hardware which way to split. The triangle/line split could produce a rendering artifact, although the artifact probably wouldn’t be a gap, but a kind of break during shiny lighting. I’ll have to re-visit my co-linear detection code.

Having realized this, I retract my previous suggestion. My personal opinion would be that the originally posted solution would be the best way to model a T.

--Travis Cobbs