 CAD / 10632
Re: Generator, Primitives, and Part questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 06:02:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
   Uh Oh, competition from Travis. I’d better provide the missing info in order to keep up. The method above supports whatever view angle you want with the ldglite -A setting. The part color can be changed with a -C setting. The background color can be set with a -B command. Here’s the specs for those commands.

Hehe. The funny thing here is that it was originally written in May of 2002. It’s a real simple program, less than 400 lines of code, and someone requested that I write it. He was going to use it for an online catalog in a LEGO-related web site. I sent him a test version in May of 2002, and prior to the other day, hadn’t touched it since.

Also, for a parts catalog, I’m not convinced that the images produced by LDView are preferable to those produced by programs like ldglite and ldlite. And I suspect that ldglite would be able to generate a catalog faster, since LDView is so slow at loading images. It can render the image quite rapidly once loaded, but since it only needs to be rendered once, there are much faster ways to do that.

   One thing to note. Travis’s program will probably draw smooth shaded curves whereas ldglite will draw them flat shaded.

It uses whatever settings are current in LDView, so if you have the smooth shading option enabled, it will use that.

--Travis Cobbs