 CAD / 10613
Re: Generator, Primitives, and Part questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 04:08:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   1. Is there a render generator that will automatically generate renders of all the parts in a directory in a specific color at a specific angle? I seem to remember someone posting about this before; and it would seem that such a tool must probably exist for use on the Parts Reference and also on Bricklink. Tell me these renders are not being done by hand, one by one!!!

I have a generator that hasn’t been released based on little-known LDView functionality. However, while it seems to work, it hasn’t been tested too well, and has some limitations at the moment:
  1. It doesn’t allow you to specify the angle, it just renders from LDView’s default angle (oblique).
  2. LDView doesn’t support orthographic projection, so perspective is on and can’t be turned off.
  3. It currently just processes all files in the LDraw parts directory, and doesn’t allow you to override this behavior.
  4. It’s not very user-friendly, and doesn’t have any documentation (although I could whip up a short how-to).
  5. If you don’t have a relatively modern video card with relatively recent drivers (specifically, OpenGL drivers that support the PBuffer extension), an (empty) LDView window displays for each part drawn. It then goes away, and a new window pops up for the next part. This pretty much makes your computer unusable while it’s running. If your video card supports PBuffer, then your computer just becomes extremely slow.
If you’re interested in it even with all the above warnings (or if anyone else is interested), let me know, and I’ll put the program somewhere where people can access it. Note that when I just ran it, I discovered that a bug fix I made to LDView after initial development of the generator had caused it to always display its window, so I’ll be including a fix for that in the next LDView release.

On the plus side, the generator will generate images in whatever color you choose, or by default do so in all the common colors. And if you kill it before it’s done, it will pick up where it left off the next time you run it.

--Travis Cobbs