 CAD / 10518
Re: POV-Ray and transperancy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:15:32 GMT

I haven't used POV with alpha channels, but if it supports writing them into the
transparency channel of a PNG file, then Photoshop should natively import this
into its own transparency channel, and you should be able to simply add the
background as a layer behind the main layer.

Yeah.  I wrote the webpage because I needed an alpha channel.  Mainly, Mac OS
X's window server uses alpha channels to calculate transparencies, so if I
wanted to add a background to the image, but not the entire image, I had to use
alpha channels.

That way I can have a cool lego icon with a custom background that only covers
part of the model.  Any transperant lego bricks remain transparent.

See this image (the icon for L3P Launcher):
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/images/l3p_launcher_icon.jpg

I don't know if I can take the transparency in a png and create an alpha channel
from it.  If it is possible, I should just use that method since it would
probably be easier.

James