 CAD / 10516
Re: POV-Ray and transperancy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:14:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Reynolds wrote:
I don't know if this is much help to others, but I thought I would post it here
just in case.  It is just a little tutorial on adding a background image to a
POV-Ray generated images using an alpha channel and Photoshop.  It would be
easier to just save the output of POV-Ray as a png, but I came accross a
situation where I needed an alphachannel (TIFF format file), so I figured this
out and wrote it up.  Here it is:

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/alphachannel/

I haven't used POV with alpha channels, but if it supports writing them into the
transparency channel of a PNG file, then Photoshop should natively import this
into its own transparency channel, and you should be able to simply add the
background as a layer behind the main layer.

For an example, download the following image in one of Willy Tschager's
Brickshelf galleries (pointed to in a recent post):

Just open the file in Photoshop, create a new layer under the main one, and
paste your background into the new layer.  It's hard to tell with that
particular file, but if you put sharp contrast behind the transparent parts, the
background image will show through properly.

--Travis Cobbs