 Basic / 106
Re: Whatup .basic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.basic
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:38:12 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message
news:HA6347.Hzn@lugnet.com...

Don't forget "Universal", which was what it was called when I got my first
one of these sets.  I agree the word "Basic" was more... well... Basic.
:)

Doh.  Forgot about that one.  Now that is a good word too.  Makes me think
of useful parts and cool box art.

Excluding the 4017 and 3033 (which I view more as Bulk supplements), I • would
say my favorite of these varied sets would have have been this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/730_2

That's a gorgeous set.  I know I have something like that lurking in my
collection but I still can't pin point it.

I really loved all the roof elements, and some specialized things like the
refridgerator/closet, drawers, etc.  Of course, at the time it came out I
was focusing on Town, so this was a good choice.

You know this brings up another interesting topic.  Just about all Basic
sets have been town oriented.  It would have been interesting if we could
have gotten some Castle or Space themed Basic sets.  True that there is the
565 Moon Landing..I consider that to be Basic-ish, but it's not really
sci-fi or fantasy.

Granted, the coolest aspect in my opinion of Basic is its themeless nature,
but this is negated, when you think about it, by how much of a Town theme so
much of Basic has had.

Maybe I should make some classic Space themed Basic MOCs.  That would be
pretty cool actually.  Kind of bulky with no figs.  That sort of thing.

[ j o n ]
--
http://zemi.net
http://www.classic-space.com