 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4078
4077  |  4079
Subject:
Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR Caboose and Hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:20:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR Bay Window Caboose and 100 Ton Hoppers

The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR established in 1875 connected the steel centers of Connellsville PA, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown Ohio hauling coal, coke, iron ore, limestone, and steel. The P&LE was known as the “Little Giant” due to the amount of tonnage that it moved was dramatically out of proportion to its actual number of route miles. Only 120 miles long the P&LE earned the most revenue per mile of any railroad in the United States before its demise in 1992.

P&LE Bay Window Caboose

Brickshelf Gallery

No. 508 is one of ten bay window cabooses built at P&LE’s own shops in 1950 to New York Central Plans. After its retirement in 1991 N0. 508 was donated to the Railroad Museum of PA.

This is my favorite rail car I’ve built so far. When I spotted it at the museum I knew I would end up building it one day. I spent quite a bit of time getting the interior an underside details as close to the prototype as possible.

Here my MOC of 508 is sitting on the real 508.

P&LE 100 Ton 3 Bay Hopper

Brickshelf Gallery

These Hoppers were designed in 1960 by the Norfolk & Western RR as the H-11 class which is an enlarged PRR H-39 70 ton hopper. In 1964, the size was increased to 12’ 3” high, cubic feet increased to 3433 and weight capacity increased to 90-100 tons. The cars were built by PRR, B&O, C&O, N&W and RDG. Bethlehem Steel and ACF supplied prefabricated kits to other railroads. Over 130,000 have been built. These two carry P&LE colors.

Questions and comments welcome.

Cale