 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4036
4035  |  4037
Subject:
Milwaukee Road GP20 locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 04:16:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Full Gallery

Here’s a little number (GP20 to be specific) that I debuted at NMRA 2007. It is based on the Milwaukee Road GP20 conversions. The model flew below the radar of most attending NMRA, blending in well into the background. But it is worth a closer look. I took the five long cab from my NP GP9 and gave it a short hood. For the long hood I put all of the access doors in. But the most notable feature of this engine, is that except for the cab and some of the roof, it is almost entirely SNOT. So that gave nice smooth walkways. While I don’t mind letting my studs hang out, this was in part an exercise to see just how far I could cover them up. Since I am also partial to the 1 x 6 Train Wagon End to show the heritage of the model, I am guilty of letting those studs loose.

Each locomotive consists of three main components, the cab and the two hoods. Each hood (and walkways) were built with the studs facing the end of the hood (except, as mentioned, some SOT for the roof). The three pieces were then slid together like a puzzlebox. This construction was particularly challenging in orange, because I didn’t have 1x1 plates or tiles, and 1x3 plates were rare at the time of construction.

I still tend towards function with my constructions, and at this point you should be thinking to yourself, “but that SNOT construction is just going to pull apart with the forces of pulling a train.” So buried deep inside the engine is a center-beam to carry all of the force between the trucks.

Apologies for the fact that some of the photos are blurry (I’ll take more and add them when I can).

Comments are welcome,

Enjoy,

Benn

Full Gallery