 Trains / 29510
Re: Milwaukee Road GP20 locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:18:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   Matt had raved about these to me after the show, but while I had noticed the doors, I hadn’t noticed the SNOT frame, and he didn’t mention it! Have you found it any advantage or is it a just a nice builder’s feature? Samarth Moray also built a loco with a SNOT frame a while ago, I wonder if building studs outward might be worth a go? (files in (ever growing) mental list of things to do). I’m in two minds about the doors. The idea is a great way to break up the rather flat (in Lego terms) sides of US hood locos but comparing with the proto pic it looks like you have to many, perhaps some mixing with grills would work well.
Having possibly sounded quite critical, I would say like to mitigate it a bit by saying that I am always very impressed by the consistent standard you achieve when building SO much stock! If you want to run a railroad there no point in having one 100% loco and freightcar, lots of 95% vehicles are much better (if that makes sense?)

Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for the 95% kind words (grin). Seriously though, Matt had said roughly the same thing about the grills on the long hood doors. Trouble is, the grills on these doors should be horizontal and given my geometry a grill tile can only give me vertical. I still might try swapping out a few of the tiles and see how it works. Believe it or not the number of doors is accurate (well, there might be one extra on one side due to asymmetry of the prototype) but given the foreshortening in the model, it might look cramped.

The SNOT underframe arose as an off-shoot of the SNOT hood. I had wanted to do the SNOT hood to minimize the number of transitions between orientations, but with the roof, I probably wound up with more rather than less transitions. Nonetheless, the 90 deg angle from the underframe helps stabilize the hood, it is a great way to get smooth runningboards without tiles, and it allowed for a nicer transition in the middle of the engine (see below).

So I’ll probably use this trick again, but I’m not throwing away my train baseplates.

Benn

PS, that’s a great exhaust fan on Samarth Moray’s locomotive