 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3775
3774  |  3776
Subject:
Four New 6208 B-Wing Alternate Models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:04:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Since posting my previous alternate model for the 6208 B-Wing, I have created four more, two of which can be built at once. Again I have also recorded them in LDraw format, which might be useful for anyone interested in building similar models. At some point I will produce rendered instructions as well. The MPD files are organized so that moving assemblies (wings, etc.) can be repositioned as single units. Some of the MPD files also contain comments describing the contrived function of each unit.

I liked the blunt contours of this ship, but the angled sides produced some weird dimensions. That lead to some awkward internal connections, particularly at the foot of the cockpit. As a result, the ship was prone to structural failure. On the other hand, it did boast a convenient little cargo compartment just aft of the cockpit and the nicest “launch pad” docking cradle of any ship in the series.

Blunt wedge lifting body fuselage Rear view of thruster cluster Dorsal wings elevated Perched on launch pad LDraw screenshot ZOOM

“Rickety Wedge” Courier MPD

These two ships can be built at the same time from one B-Wing. I started with the dark gray recon vessel and built the other open-cockpit speeder from the leftover parts. The recon ship is stealthy and sophisticated; the speeder is a parts-bin hot rod that chews through fuel slugs like there’s no tomorrow.

Recon and sportspeeder front views Recon and sportspeeder rear views “Bantam Iris” recon vehicle Sportspeeder in cradle Recon LDraw screenshot Sportspeeder LDraw screenshot

“Bantam Iris” Recon MPD (3A) and Sportspeeder MPD (3B)

This is my favorite alternate model yet. It is sturdy, serious, and “swooshable.” It is loosely inspired by the Colonial Vipers of Battlestar Galactica, but it’s not intended as a replica. Although a capable dogfighter, the “Anaconda” sacrifices some maneuverability in favor of blockade-busting longitudinal acceleration and heavy arms and armor. Consistent with these characteristics, its mission is to punch through vanguard defenses and engage the high-value targets at the heart of enemy formations directly.

Anaconda on cradle Tactical landing configuration Digital cockpit Wings at second of three dihedral configurations Anaconda LDraw screenshot

“Anaconda” Interceptor MPD

I’ve enjoyed building these alternate models, so I may do a few more. Working with a limited palette of parts makes it interesting (although this set admittedly has a nice selection for spaceships). Plus, I like to champion the fact that a finite set of Legos can be built and rebuilt into an endless variety of things. That’s what makes ‘em great!

Incidentally, I’m curious what the best follow-up group would be for these posts. I’ve chosen lugnet.starwars since the models are all derived from a Star Wars set, but as my variations don’t necessarily reside in the Star Wars universe, I’m not sure if that’s appropriate.

Anyway, how do you like them?

Jim