 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3776
3775  |  3777
Subject:
Rhino Armored Vehicles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:16:13 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

Here is another group of armored vehicles, all based around the same
chassis/hull design.They feature suspension, an openable engine compartment, a
handy rear door, and a pair of vicious-looking eyes that I've been meaning to
use for a while now.

The Rhino family of armored vehicles all have weapons that can be controlled
remotely from inside the hull of the vehicle (except the ambulance, which is
unarmed). This means that the commander/gunner is better protected than he might
be in a manned turret, but at the cost of some level of spacial awareness. The
Rhino has troop carrying capacity, which varies depending on variant and the
missions, but the basic APC and IFV versions can take six to ten troops
depending on how much equipment the troops have with them and how comfortable
they want to be. Crew consists of two to four, depending on the variant.

I've enjoyed seeing how far I could go with modularity. The Rhino wasn't
inspired directly by any one vehicle, but the ideas of a highly modular armored
vehicle and unmanned turret are beginning to feature in real life modern and
upcoming military designs. They also make building the MOCs much easier.

Here is the baseline Rhino - an Infantry Fighting Vehicle with the usual
autocannon, machine gun, smoke grenades. I've also included "flick-fire"
missiles for a little extra playability, and these can be reloaded from the rear
hatches. The infantry in the back aren't undead, they just have scary skeleton
masks on to scare the Megablocks out of the enemy.

The Rhino Brawler is an experimental combat vehicle with a versatile range of
weapons to take on pretty much any enemy.

The Rhino Commander has all sorts of communications, computers and other high
tech stuff. It gives the battlefield commander and his officers a mobile
platform from which to conduct operations in relative safety.

The Rhino Defender is an innovative APC. While it doesn't have the same
offensive weapons as the regular IFV, it does carry a few broadsides worth of
small mounted machine guns and grenade launchers. If attacked from the side it
can defend itself with all seven weapons, and offers the troops inside a safe
exit from the vehicle on the side that isn't under attack.

The Rhino Hunter is an experimental tank design, emphasizing as always crew
survivability. Unlike most tanks, it can carry a small squad of troops in the
back.

The Rhino Protector is an armored ambulance. Designed to evacuate wounded
soldiers as quickly and safely as possible, it can carry up to four stretchers.

PLMKWYT!

Magnus