 Star Wars / 17747
Re: Four New 6208 B-Wing Alternate Models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:07:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Timothy Gould wrote:

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jim DeVona wrote:

I've enjoyed building these alternate models, so I may do a few more.
Working with a limited palette of parts makes it interesting (although this
set admittedly has a nice selection for spaceships). Plus, I like to
champion the fact that a finite set of Legos can be built and rebuilt into
an endless variety of things. That's what makes 'em great!

Anyway, how do you like them?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Seems these slipped in under the radar for me.

Presumably because most of them are stealthy. ;-)

Great work on the alts. They are all good builds and I wouldn't pick them as
limited part builds if you hadn't told me. I have great admiration for people
that can succesfully make alternate models as I find the process immensely
challenging (and the results inevitably turn out poorly).

Thank you for the complements! There's not much to explain much about my
building process (playing around until it looks right, basically), but if I was
pressed to offer something, it's probably true that each of these alternates has
started with some gimmick (an angled nose, a drooping cockpit, etc.) made of
just a few key pieces that suggest that basic shape or structure, and everything
else just gets added on from there.

But what's neat that I've observed from browsing around Lugnet and the rest of
the Lego internet is the diversity of ways that people build things, from very
methodical collecting to treating it as an engineering experiment to just
messing around and coming up with neat stuff anyway. As with anything creative
people do I think it's fascinating to see how they do it differently and all do
it well.

So enough with my Lego philosophizing! But I suspect something like this
sentiment is what makes it so interesting for people here to see each other's
work.

Congratulations and I look forward to seeing more.

TIm

Well I hope to be able to share more creations too. I've never had a Lego "dark
age," but between say 96 and 2006 I didn't actually get [m]any new sets. I must
admit it has been fun discovering all the things you can do with some of the
pieces they've added since I was a younger kid. (Back then I might have given an
arm and a leg for the 1x2 and 1x4 bricks with studs on side! The 1x2 brick with
axlehole is an unsung hero, too. Last but not least, the curved wedges and
slopes do let you approximate some pretty sleek shapes.)

Thanks again for your feedback,
Jim