 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3716
3715  |  3717
Subject:
Bad Axe Theater and Generic Theater
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:36:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello!

So, I had a little time to do some building and finishing of quite a few MOC's
over the holiday break.

These two, like firehouses and diners, represent another interest of mine:  old
time, neon marquee'd theaters.  There is something really romantic and soulful
about them in my opinion.

The first was a target of mine for quite a while: The Bad Axe Theater in
Michigan:
<http://www.mdpl.org/Gift%20Shop/Books/popcornpalaces.html>

Doing further research, I found the building, aside from street level, to be
quite boring.  So, I dressed it up slightly.
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=224863>

I think the red marquee takes a little away from the trans colored elements,
unfortunately.  But, I am pleased with the overall design of it.

The second is based on a firehouse that I discovered recently in one of the
towns I lived in briefly as a very young child:

<http://www.nefirenews.com/mass/HaverhillSta1.jpg>

The marquee is one I have had kicking around sice 1999 or so.  I think they work
really well together.  Featured on this building are Big Ben Wheels which I
think look great!  I am also very pleased with the cornice.

I plan on bringing the Bad Axe to Detroit in July.

Enjoy!

Best,
Jonathan