 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2167
MOC: Friendship 2004: Manned ('Figged) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:46:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

It’s time to drive there and get them!

Chuck Grey is departing for the Red Planet, on a mission to bring back Biff and Sandy. He’s going to make the long journey in the Friendship 2004, drop to the surface in the lander, and bring them back.

Hey, folks!
Read on for a bit of an explanation, go straight to the root picture gallery, or check out the Mars Lander Module gallery or the Command & Service Module gallery

Friendship 2004 has of a number of components. The full ship is 68 bricks high when assembled. The bulk of the ship’s length is the Command & Service Module (CSM). Four disposable fuel tanks attach to the sides of the CSM, and the Mars Lander Module (MLM) attaches to the nose. The lander has both descent and and ascent stages, much like the lunar module of the Apollo missions.

Here is the full ship, as it appears when departing Earth orbit.
Friendship 2004
Check out the root gallery.
The ship is assembled in Earth orbit. The components are sent up via various conventional launch vehicles. As such, the whole assembly is never intended to withstand full Earth gravity. This saves considerable structural mass.

Two full external fuel tanks are expended on the outbound acceleration burn and are ejected before the deceleration burn to reduce the mass. Friendship 2004 turns around and fires up the main engines again for deceleration and Mars orbit capture. Once in orbit, Chuck climbs through the nose hatch into the lander and departs for the surface.

Once the lander makes it to the surface, Biff and Sandy climb aboard and the ascent stage launches off of the descent stage. The descent stage is left behind on the Martian surface. Note that the lander is extremely cramped- this is no sightseeing tour! Unlike the Apollo moon missions, this mission doesn’t involve any exploration. It is purely a retrieval mission, and nothing extra goes to the surface and back.
Lander Ascent stage Descent stage
Check out the Mars Lander Module (MLM) gallery.

The ascent stage makes an orbital rendezvous with the ship and the passengers transfer over. Then the ascent stage is left on a decaying orbit, destined to crash into Mars.

Ready to head home, Friendship 2004 performs final maneuvering and ejects the remaining two external fuel tanks. It then begins the inbound acceleration burn. It is pretty well stripped down to the basics at this point. The Service (lower) section houses all support equipment that the crew doesn’t generally need to access. The Command (upper) section is the living space. External details include a ladder for spacewalks, a folding comm. dish, and a set of folding solar panels. The entire upper deck is the airlock- there are pressure doors on the roof and between decks 1 and 2.
Check out the Command & Service Module (CSM) gallery.

I have a gallery of interior shots of the CSM, but they are terrible. I will have to do some tricky disassembly work to get better interior shots- I’ll do that later. For now, these will have to do.
Terrible interior shots

You might think the engines are rather small for such a ship, but remember that on a journey of many months it is practical to do longer engine burns at lower thrust. Smaller engines and lower thrust again mean less mass.

The solar panels and radar aren’t as adjustable as I’d like. But I really don’t feel like reengineering them. And the color scheme could have been a bit more coordinated between the lander and main ship... ah, well. I made due with what I could find.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com