 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1858
1857  |  1859
Subject:
Gladius
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:47:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Another small fighter for your consideration: The Gladius

And the full folder after moderation.

The Gladius is the “Big Brother” to the Tanto, sharing the basic frame with an upgraded engine and vastly superior firepower. The increaase in size also brings an incease in manuverability with six extra vecored thrusers and two additional fixed underbelly thrusters. The cannon is mainly used against larger craft or as a finishing shot because while it packs quite a whollop, its power drain is quite substantial. The forward cannon mount can also be exchanged for an advanced sensor package allowing the Gladius to take on a reconnaissance role. Strangely enough the pilot, Branson Suggs is also the big brother of the Tantos pilot. Must run in the family...

Admittedly the Tanto was fun but some feedback made me realise it needed a different color scheme and I do dislike the Star Wars canopies... So I started thinking about what the next step up from the Tanto would be. Obviously more power & more guns were what I settled on :) The tripple decked engine came first, then the additional wing design. The pivoting guns on the underside were reworked, using a completely different hinge design than the Tanto. The smaller underbelly guns also changed a bit. Changing the nose of the craft left a gap in the center which only momentarilly remained empty - it just seemed to make sense to put a big honkin cannon there, though maybe a sensor package would have been more sensible. I knew what I wanted to do with the cockpit, it’s a design I have used on the Agar and a couple of other ships but it led to some akward flat space which led to the external monitor and some minor greebling on the underside.
SO all in all it’s a fairly conventional design with a bit of snot and dash of greebling - just about my speed :) And to answer the question “Does it swoop?” Why yes. The cats live in fear of yet another strafing run.

PLMKWYT,
TRS