 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1303
1302  |  1304
Subject:
New Asian Wonder Taj Mahal at LIC Orlando
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 03:34:13 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well its finally happened and I couldn't be happier !
Been talking with the marketing folks at The LEGO
Imagination Center Orlando and they agreed to allow
the Greater Florida Lego Train Club/Users Group to
have a display case in the store on a permanent basis
to display MOCs to be rotated out once a month.

First up is my new MOC, the Taj Mahal which fits the
Orient Expendition series.  And it is one of my Asian
monuments.

Folder after moderation is

Deep links for a preview

The Taj Mahal was finished in the 1600s and was built
by Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal although when
he died he was also buried in the Taj Mahal, hence the
2 tombs in the middle of the structure.  A doorway
was left uncompleted so that the tombs can be viewed.
No doubt most of you will recognize the onion domes
from the Scorpion Palace set which unfortunately is
a 60% dome and not a 50% dome and I did not have the
heart to take a Dremel to it.  The whole project was
a "study" in using color to highlight architecture as
the real Taj Mahal is mostly a single color marble
colored beige with time.  Also, the people are not
quite to scale as the Taj is about 1/4 minifig scale.
However, the addition of Johnny Thunder, the Raj
and his escort troops made the scene a little more
human.

All in all it was a very good Lego day and we hope
to have many years of wonderful MOCs at the LIC
Orlando.  Incidentally, the manager there told me
they get about 12 million visitors per year.

PLMKWYT.
Regards
KK Quah