 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1151
Re: Vose Inspection Car MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:42:00 GMT

I totally agree that this needs some form of locomotion.  I too was even
considering the windups, but have come to the conclusion that there is not
enough room on board and that they are way to high power.  What I am
thinking of using is a  micro motor in the engine that connects to the • front
axle through a half twist pully.  instead of using lego stuff to power it,
just wrap a peice of metal like a twist tie inard to the connections of • the
micro and bend them in a way that they drag on the track and get power to
the engine... what do you think about that?

well, you can only sit on that kind of inspiration for long.  Here it is...
the motorized version (beta .01a) Vose Inspection Car.

The Vose is powered by a custom fitted drag wire connected micro motor
housed in the actual engine compartement of the vehicle.  The micro is
attached to two pulleys that drive the front wheels of the Vose.

The drag wires are custom fitted into the rear of the micro motor  and drop
to the track through holes in the underneath of the vehicle.  The drag wire
connection to the motor is stabiliezed by the pressure of a piece of tightly
folded paper that ensures that the securing bricks don not come loose.

It took the modification of two different bricks to do.  First I had to
shave the edges off  the opsosing sides of the studs of one half of a 2x2
plate to accomodate the width of the drag wires touching the metal edges of
the micro motor.  Second I cut a 1 and 1/2 technic pin from a 6 tech pin to
attach a second pulley to the micro motor which makes the wheels turn far
more smoothly although far too slow.

Which brings me to the problems.  First the motor is way too slow. second
i'm going to need micro rubber bands to put on the wheels to accomodate the
clearance of the front drive wheels and the current housings.  Third there
needs to be  second set of connects to the tracks in the rear of the car to
keep power to it across the links (victim of ultra low speed.)  Finally the
front wheels housings will not clear the standard lego track connectors (to
the power supply,) preventing it from continuously running a complete
circut... but.  It still looks good.

Let me know what you think guys.

-tk