 Announcements / BrickShelf™ / 78
Brickshelf: Hit Counters!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.brickshelf
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 00:27:28 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

You asked for it and now you've got it.  Among many improvements
(like 64 character filenames and previous/next buttons on the top and bottom,
file/folder/user counts) I have implemented hit counters for every folder page,
file page and user page. These hit counters are updated at midnight EDT when
the web logs are rotated. I have loaded in all data from 2001-01-01 through
yesterday.  I will load in all of 2000 (starting in February when the
interactive gallery started) in the next batch.  This means that each and every
time your gallery pages were accessed since the beginning will be recorded.
Look at the bottom of the page for the "Views: " indicator.

While I was messing with the database structure (something I rarely ever do)
I added fields for keywords and category.  "Category" probably won't be used
for the brickshelf site since it's all in the "LEGO" category, but it might be
useful for other gallery sites that have a variety of different topics.

The "Keywords" field will allow you to associate any number of arbitrary words
with any folder or file you own.  There will be a set of "standard" keywords
selected with checkboxes for things like "train shows" "clubs" "Mecha" etc.
This will allow topic specific pages as well as improved free text search.

The hit counters are there right now but you will have to wait for a future
update for the keyword stuff.  I would like some input as to what relevant
"standard" keywords might be.