 Announcements / BrickShelf™ / 61
  New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

Last night I whipped up another C/mySQL program to do polls. The first experimental poll is on the brickshelf home page: http//www.brickshelf.com/ It uses cookies to keep people from accidentially stuffing the ballot box, but it would be trivial to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.announce.brickshelf)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) It could filter out duplicates that come from the same IP address within a given period, say, 1 hour, or something... --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) cool... though.. umm.. can't i just have all my machines stuff the ballot box? :) Also, you need an "other" in that first poll there :) (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Looking at some sort of unique user ID (like a login ID) is probably the only practical way to avoid the problem. I would assume Kevin's already working on a workaround for that. :-) --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) i've got 2 class Bs to choose from though, so addresses arn't a problem :) hmmm... (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) but what about NATed machines? If Jenn and I both voted from home, it'd show up as the same ip... btw, seems someone already bothered to stuff it... Dan (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Well, going from a meritocracy viewpoint (not always popular), I'd posit that anyone who has 2 class B addy blocks to choose from is more than welcome to more than one vote in my book. (as is anyone smart enough to hack a sufficiently clever (...) (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Insectoids in the lead? I suspect a breach of security already...treacherous ballot boxes stuffing, no doubt. (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) I'm not as concerned with people intentionally stuffing the box as making shure people don't accidentially do it (like reloading a bunch of times). The polls are after all for fun, not science :) btw, to vote you need a ballot cookie set. I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Replace /index.html with /index.cgi and make sure that you've got: AddHandler cgi-script .cgi somewhere in your .conf files and index.cgi in your DirectoryIndex record. --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) I've got: DirectoryIndex index.cgi index.shtml index.html (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Maybe people are voting Insectoids because its the only theme they've had the opportunity to play with. All of the others are ancient. I've never played with any of those themes, so I didn't vote. If Blacktron II was listed, I might have (...) (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Brickshelf Feature: Polls!

(...) Doh! I forgot you can use specify more than one. KL (24 years ago, 7-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)