 Announcements / 3828
    Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
   Hi all, unfortunately I had to realize a disturbance in the LUGNET main server's performance today, which at first appeared somewhat inexplicable but ended up being identified as some significant traffic on a normally rather quiet NNTP service. I (...) (16 years ago, 19-Aug-08, to lugnet.announce)

        Re: Very strange server behavior today —Geoffrey Hyde
      "Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote in message news:K5urGL.Gxy@lugnet.com... (...) If this continues to be a problem I would recommend that LUGNET should go into a completely web-based server setup. Allowing for the initial time to (...) (16 years ago, 20-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —Frank Filz
     (...) Oh, please no. The web interface has no way to keep track of read posts other than your browser's memory of visited URLs. No web based forum has yet to provide the flexibility to keep track of what I have read and what I have not read (and (...) (16 years ago, 22-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
      (...) I should like to point out (again), that I was already quite fond of the approach the LUGNET implementation took back when I was just one of many happy users and didn't have the slightest idea I might become one of LUGNET's admins one day. (...) (16 years ago, 23-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —William R. Ward
     (...) I agree that NNTP is the best way, but I haven't used NNTP for a long time. Ever since FTX was allowed in posts, it's been pretty useless because you can't see the images and other FTX enhanced aspects of messages through NNTP or email. (16 years ago, 24-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
      (...) You are certainly right, however using NNTP to get your awareness raised for new developments in your favorite newsgroup (or boards, as forum jargon would put it) could be quite helpful. I find myself using this means at least for some groups (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Very strange server behavior today —Frank Filz
       (...) One solution would be an FTX enabled news reader. There is no reason why a news reader could not process the FTX. Another thing a customized Lugnet newsreader could do is post via the web interface. I don't think it would be too tricky to get (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Very strange server behavior today —Michael Huffman
      (...) The easiest solution would be to convert FTX in NNTP message files into HTML; most NNTP browsers understand embedded HTML. And then rewrite the web-posting modules to convert FTX to "safe" HTML (ie. rejecting JavaScript injection or other (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Very strange server behavior today —Todd Lehman
      (...) That's a really good idea, Michael. There is already an internal function for rendering FTX as HTML, which could be reused for this. It might be a good idea to filter out any JS injection attempts in URLs, which would benefit the web-based (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —Michael Huffman
     (...) I've solved the read vs. unread issue by reading LUGNET via RSS & Google reader. There's not enough traffic on LUGNET to prevent me from reading it via RSS now (the traffic has dramatically dropped since Peeron introduced the RSS feed). And I (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
     (...) Thanks for your suggestions (all of you) - actually an FTX-capable news reader might be something we'd need an idea of the actual demand for. I'll take your suggestions into account and we'll see what we can make of them. There are also some (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —Michael Huffman
     (...) As I said in another post, I think converting FTX to HTML on the back-end would be a "better use of your time" type of solution, considering how diverse your audience is. (...) Some other ides to consider: - A true RSS feed direct from LUGNET, (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —Michael Huffman
     (...) I know it's bad form to reply to your own post... but another idea would be a updated user profile... I have a web-site, a blog, I'm on Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn, Picasa, Twitter, Plurk, FriendFeed, AIM, Y!M, gTalk, etc. It would be nice to (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
     (...) Actually, some work on the user profiles is also very high on my wish (and ToDo) list. I'm quite an active networker, too, and on all these "modern" platforms you find - among all that clutter - some desirable features that might be worthwhile (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today —Michael Huffman
     (...) I agree with you here, I have looked into the abyss of madness called MySpace & have gone crazy myself! What I meant to say was "control over JUST the profile page". Agreed, there is a nice established look with LUGNET, that it would be nice (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
     Just btw., may I distract you to (URL) I have put another issue up for discussion? Given your creativity here I am confident that you have some constructive views on that subject as well. Thanks, Jerry (16 years ago, 27-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Very strange server behavior today Gereon Stein
   As a follow-up to the original announcement, I would like to let everyone know that the "visitor" who basically jammed the NNTP service came back this morning. Since nothing else seemed to help, I had to block out his or her IP range entirely from (...) (16 years ago, 25-Aug-08, to lugnet.admin.general)