 Administrative / General / 14040
Re: Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:16:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Gereon "Jerry" Stein" <jerry@lugnet.com> wrote in message
news:K5urGL.Gxy@lugnet.com...
I know many of you are relying on the NNTP service to read and post LUGNET
news.
That's entirely fine. However I found a small number of IP addresses
basically
generating so much traffic that the system was next to unusable. What's
worse,
after a couple of weeks without significant email outages, the email
service
also stopped working, so you may find posts sent through email or the web
and
waiting for authentication to be delayed.

If this continues to be a problem I would recommend that LUGNET should go
into a completely web-based server setup.  Allowing for the initial time to
setup the service so bots can't get into it, this should significantly
reduce posting problems and elimination of the email-based web
authentication would allow people to post messages quicker and without
having to rely on email servers that don't respond as expected.

I have identified the IP addresses generating the obviously malevolent
traffic
and locked them out of the NNTP service. Email is already back to nominal,
so my
hope is that sorts it all out.

If these IP addresses are identifiable, so are the hosts responsible for
them.  I would naturally expect LUGNET admins to be following up to the
relevant server admins at the responsible host abuse addresses for these
malevolent IP addresses.

They should be interested in shutting down rogue IP addresses that are being
abused.  Anything that will prevent abusive attempts by the criminals
controlling the rogue IP addresses is a good thing, in my opinion.  It's a
shame law enforcement agencies are not quick to find and prosecute
cybercriminals like these.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde