 Announcements / 3828
3827  |  3829
Subject:
Very strange server behavior today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:41:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

unfortunately I had to realize a disturbance in the LUGNET main server's
performance today, which at first appeared somewhat inexplicable but ended up
being identified as some significant traffic on a normally rather quiet NNTP
service.

I know many of you are relying on the NNTP service to read and post LUGNET news.
That's entirely fine. However I found a small number of IP addresses basically
generating so much traffic that the system was next to unusable. What's worse,
after a couple of weeks without significant email outages, the email service
also stopped working, so you may find posts sent through email or the web and
waiting for authentication to be delayed.

I have identified the IP addresses generating the obviously malevolent traffic
and locked them out of the NNTP service. Email is already back to nominal, so my
hope is that sorts it all out.

Have fun,

Jerry