 Announcements / 3289
3288  |  3290
Subject:
*** LDView Version 3.1 Beta 1 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 04:58:48 GMT

LDView 3.1 Beta 1 is now available for download from the LDView downloads page here:

http://ldview.sourceforge.net/Downloads.html

This is a Beta release, which means that I’m hoping to get as much feedback as possible. This also means that it is likely not as stable as a final release, so you probably don’t want to try it out if you absolutely hate using buggy software. (Having said that, it’s received a fair amount of internal testing already, so I believe that it’s a whole lot more stable than many Beta releases. It does contain all the features that will be in the official 3.1 release.) The translations have not yet been updated to work with this release, and translations created for version 3.0 will refuse to load.

While this is only a point release, there are some significant new features. Some highlights are:
  • Automated download and installation of the LDraw parts library. (That’s right; install and run LDView on a clean machine, and it will do all the work of getting the latest version of the LDraw parts library installed for you. If you already have the LDraw parts library, you can still continue to use the one you already have with this version.)
  • Automated updating of the LDraw parts library.
  • Automatic searching for unofficial parts in the LDraw parts tracker when a file cannot be found locally.
  • Ability to generate a POV-Ray compatible camera statement based on the current view in LDView.
Please see the full change history here.

Please send any bugs, suggestions, or other feedback to ldview@gmail.com. As mentioned above, the main reason for this release is to get feedback so that the official release will be as high-quality as possible.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)