 Announcements / 2078
2077  |  2079
Subject:
LEGO sponcoring an ASCAR racer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 21:27:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey,

I'm a race junkie which ends up taking too much of my Lego time, but what are
you gonna do? Check this out:

http://www.ascar.co.uk/

ASCAR is the Australian version of NASCAR. I'm sure it's not as expensive to
sponcor a car in ASCAR, but I would expect the sponcorship costs in the
millions of dollars. Can any of our Aussie Lugnetters shed some light on this
exciting development?

Here is the officail announcement as written on the ASCAR official website:

The LEGO® Racers Team today welcomed the latest addition to it’s winning line
up – Deuce Racing RML’s 180-MPH ASCAR. Excited young race enthusiasts unveiled
the car in view of the LEGO Racers Drome Event and LEGOLAND® Driving School at
the purpose built £70 million Rockingham Motor Speedway in Corby,
Northamptonshire.

The striking race car features action images of the LEGO Racers’ Zonic Strike
car alongside the distinctive LEGO Racers branding. Local children watched 22
year old driver, Anthony Swan take the car on to the track for the first time.
They were also able to experience first hand the high octane LEGO Racers Drome
Event, trackside.

Deuce Racing RML Driver and ‘2002 Top Rookie’ Anthony Swan said.” I’m delighted
to be involved with the LEGO Racers team, this is a great opportunity for me to
get among the winners. I grew up building LEGO race cars, and now I’m driving
my own. It’s a dream come true”.

The new LEGO Racers range features slammer, pull back and battery charged
motors, perfect for real power on any type of terrain. The Zonic Strike
featured on the car is designed for high-speed endurance racing, with a
streamlined design and low profile race tyres for top performance in the city
race environment.

Brand Director for LEGO Racers, Fiona Wright comments: “Speed, power,
performance and realistic racing are the heart of LEGO Racers, so we’re really
excited to be teaming up with Deuce Racing RML this season”.

Nick Auchincloss, Head of Public Relations for Deuce Racing RML, adds: “ASCAR
is without doubt the most family friendly motor sport in the UK and the tie up
with LEGO Racers develops the family atmosphere even further.”

Seriously, Lego on a racecar, how cool is that?

Also, I'm curious, does anyone know if Lego has sponcored racing before?

Greg Howell- now an ASCAR fan!