 Animation / 175
Re: New LEGO Toys Based on Jurassic Park III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:35:38 GMT

Hi Todd,

I'm pretty sure the set numbers are going to be #1370 and #1371 and
although we don't have the set names yet, I'm pretty sure I'll find
out soon.

If/when you do, remember that you mustn't share the information here on
LUGNET unless it has been obtained legitimately.  That's part of the T&C,
and please respect it.

Hm, right now, not even one week later, the first images of the JP3 sets
have popped up at another website and people started a discussion about them
on Lugnet:

http://news.lugnet.com/year/2001/?n=697

What do you say now? Would you now say we are allowed to talk about these
images? LEGO still hasn't officially released the images or any other info,
but through another Fan channel (not Lugnet though) we were able to pick up
new images. May we discuss them?

Where do you pull the line? When is something official and when do you still
consider it being leaked? For my part, it's okay to share any information we
have as soon as we are able to access it. Of course I wouldn't tell too much
about the things I found out at a retailer toy fair, having in mind that
many of these things were truly shown *espacially to retailers*. But talking
about a theme that LEGO has already announced but not shown yet is okay for
my taste as long as find out the info as a consumer [again: visiting a fair
as a retailer is something different!].

I still don't see the difference between

- previous my posting:
http://news.lugnet.com/publish/cinema/?n=154

- the new JP3 posting:
http://news.lugnet.com/year/2001/?n=697

- and these images shown up:
http://www.action-figure.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=138

What's okay and what's not?
That might help me to understand your point of view (which I will try to
respect anyway).

Come on LEGO - where's your problem??

I don't know if LEGO answers rhetorical questions.

That's funny! Right this morning I have seen a posting from some LD employee
using about the same rhetorical method but *directly* towards you:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1826
[Taken from message linked above]

Todd, come on man, I would rather see LEGO Direct employees working on

LEGO employees are human, aren't they? They know what the world looks like
and they know what colloquial language is being spoken out there. In fact, I
am from Germany and I only learned English at school. It's really difficult
for my to write complete postings at all - I can't care that much about each
single word I use, I try to translate everything as it comes to my mind.

You should really
consider contacting LEGO and asking them directly.

Well, as we are talking about contacting LEGO: I *have been at a toy fair*
and talked to many LEGO employees. At the LEGO Studios section I quickly
noticed the new LEGO Studios JP3 sets and asked one of the employees who
seemed responsible for that area:
"Excuse me, when are these sets going to hit the stores?".
And this ignorant employee simply told me:
"Oh, these sets have been out in the US for a while already. The US market
is already selling the entire LEGO Studios palette and these dinosaur sets
are not new at all."
That surprised me and I did put a more detailed question:
"So, when a consumer comes to my Toy Shop [not that I'd have one] and asks
me if he could see images of all the LEGO Studios sets that'll be released
this year, is it okay to show him the retailers catalogue that shows all
these products even though the're not yet in the official consumer
catalogue?" - "Oh - sure! Feel free to inform your consumers about upcoming
products, as long as that'll help to increase your profits, muahaha!"

[Note that we had the discussion in German, so while translating it out of
my mind some things may have changed their surface, however I am still
telling the story in its original shape!]

Is that what you meant with "asking them directly" ???

Fine, according to that you can add any retailer image you want to the
Lugnet database and you can freely talk about all the upcoming stuff. [Note
that I did in no way publish too much retailer information on Lugnet.
There's a lot more horrible stuff behind the scenes that most of us won't like!]

Oh, yes - I have also contacted the local Consumer Service a couple of times
(via Email), but they never replied to any of these conerns (and some were
sent to them years ago, others months ago). TLC never replies directly to
you because of legal issues. They don't care - so why should I?

Well, I'll stand at my point of view. Once TLC announces an upcoming
product, theme or similar, I think we are allowed to publish the images we
already have too, although TLC themselves has not released images yet.

AGAIN: Not that I have already published that kind of info on Lugnet, maybe
on other places though - however, naming them here would be against the
Terms of Use accoring to your previous posting and I do care a lot about
Lugnet so I try to stay within these ToS and take them serious as I know
there are many reasons for them. (And you seem to look a lot after them as
well, unlike LEGO does).

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de