 Animation / 118
Re: Question about "2001: A LEGO Odyssey"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:01:59 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Payton Ware writes:
First off let me say: wow. That was awesome. You did an excellent job with
the movie, and the cinematography was superb.

Thanks!

So my question is, you used iMovie and Finalcut Pro, so how did you • actually
do the stop motion? Did you just take digital stills using the camera and
import them, or do those Mac programs actually have a stop motion feature?
Just curious.

iMovie has the ability to record the current camcorder images directly to a
film clip (Final Cut Pro can't do this , which is *very* annoying - you have to
record to tape first). So what I would do is setup the frame, record a very
short film clip, then take a still from the film clip, put the still in the
movie timeline, change the still duration to whatever I want it to be
(typically 1/5 of a second). All this within iMovie. Do this a number of times
and you have an animation! Then I would save it as a high quality .mov file and
import it into Final Cut Pro for editing (transitions, sounds, etc.)

I don't know how it is on the PC (anyone care to enlighten me?), but
stop-motion support is really lacking in these programs. There are a lot of
little things that make the process more difficult than it needs to be. For
example, the minimum default still length in iMovie is 0.5 seconds, which means
you have to adjust each still length manually (that was sort of annoying for
the star gate sequence which has 300 frames!). Another example: Final Cut Pro
doesn't let you import more than one file at a time. Again, if you have 300
stills this can be excruciating... What I would really want is a fairly
high-end movie package that is geared towards stop animation. Does such a beast
exist?

Oh, and in the scene with the astronaut and the monolith, is that a Vertigo
effect I'm seeing? I can barely tell, it's so small. Wow.

By "vertigo effect", do you mean zooming the camera while moving it backwards?
No, I didn't put anything like that in the movie. When did you download the
movie? If it was before Jan 14th you might want to check out my website again,
the file sizes are much smaller (which means you can get a version at a higher
resolution).

Thanks for you interest!
-- Marc