 Animation / 113
Re: First movie: "Some Assembly Required"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:19:25 GMT

Nice job.

I've tried animating the skeletons. It's only resulted in me getting mad and
distracted by something shiny. But I'm easily distracted by shiny objects.

If you don't mind,(Even if you do it is too late) I played with compressing
it. Partly out of boredom, partly out of seeing what I could do.

One big thing, Unless you need stereo effects, Don't use stereo. You might
also want to only use 8 bit audio. In web based distibution, size is
everything. I got about the same sound at 8khz, 8kbps, mono It might not
sound as pretty, but the unclean ones using 56k dial-up might not appreciate
a 100 meg file. But that is purely a personal choice.

I used the standard encoder that comes with Media Studio Pro. I'm sure if I
used a third party encoder I can get a little slicker.

Using the Sorenson codec I got the file down to 2.6 meg. Playing with the
settings should make it smaller. I don't know. I got bored again. Sorenson
is real dependent on key frames and keeping the datarate below 100k.

Using Divx(http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html) I got the
file to 1.12 meg. Again if I played with the settings I could get it
smaller. Divx can put the Matrix DVD onto a CD. With very little quality drop.

The drawback to Divx is you need to install the encoder to view it, and Mac
users can be left out.

Installing is real hard, you unzip the file and double click on the icon.
I've had people not be able to figure that out.

Out of respect for you, I will not post the file. If you want it I can email
you a link. Otherwise, I'll delete when I need the space.

That's all I can think of now.