 Adventurers / 859
Re: New Set Availability at US S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:48:56 GMT

Lindsay, what's your academic specialty?

--

Paul Davidson, aka Tinman
www.theforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Star Wars

Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

John Neal wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

PS:  I have a related rant on the palaeontological accuracy of the
documentation, but I'll save that.

Ooh, I'd love to hear it:-)  Since I haven't gotten the actual dinos for • closer
examination yet, I'll hold my nits to two.  First, kudos to TLC for • placing the
shoulder girdle *under* the ribcages of the tricerablocks and the • stlegosaurs.
With the tails elevated, IMO this is the most accurate representation of • these
animals.

Yes--the design of the actual models is pretty good (although I do have • issues with
the stegosaur's plates being *raised*--they probably laid pretty flat, if • John
McLoughlin is correct--and the Triceratops frill not being attached to the • body, when
it was probably an anchor for some very serious muscles and so was • probably well
attached to the back).  My big beef is also that the legs still attach to • the sides of
the animals; in reality they were held underneath, sort of like a rhino or • elephant.
You don't see any toys of *them* with these big 'ol upper-leg juts!  Take • the horses
as an example--or even the Kaadus.

Now, I disagree with the double row of spikes on the stlegosaur.  I • would like to
have seen 1 row alternating side to side.

Well, they *are* alternating--for example, if there's a plate on one side, • there's no
plate on the other; it was done this way to allow for a 2x2 stud segment • at the top
(over the hip).

I was just at Walmart yesterday and saw some pre-release action dinos • from
Disney's DINOSAUR and was surprised at how crummy they were.  I like the • LEGO ones
better!

My big beef is with the documentation; the little instruction-sheet shots • show the
dinosaurs in all their Great Fossil Lizard glory, tails on the ground, • lizard scale
lips on the T-Rex, and whatnot.  It's depressing, IMHO.  At least the • Disney movie
should be good--they did a great job of rendering Oviraptor. (although I • tend to be of
the school that believes the bizarre beaked head was used for cracking • crustaceans and
not cracking eggs--for which you just don't need a head that solid!)

best

Lindsay