 Adventurers / 555
Re: Any ideas on how to do this with Technic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:01:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Paul Davidson writes:
Hi, I'm considering an Adventurers-themed Lego project that involves a
structure that, when triggered, can sink into the "ground" (as on The
Mummy).  My general idea is that at four locations (two on each of opposite
sides), the part of the structure that must sink will have gears that can
roll up and down along long, vertically-oriented toothed "racks" which are
part of the stationary base (the ground).

Without any further mechanical apparatus, this will plunge downward at
whatever acceleration gravity exerts, coming to a final crash at the bottom.
Is there any kind of gearing I can add (without using motors) that can slow
this motion?  I.e., is there a way to have the structure *slowly* sink
rather than suddenly?  I've thought about adding resistance through a rubber
band that is pulled taught as the structure sinks, but I'm not convinced
this will work well.  Perhaps some kind of hydraulics system?

Paul Davidson

That strange, thick, white gear in the RIS slips with drag that appears
proportional to the rotation rate, so it's a dampener, which is what you want.

Dave Paule