 Adventurers / 292
Re: Last Call for Adventure movies poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:14:11 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Craig Hamilton writes:

the "JUNGLE JIM" movies! i haven't thought of these in years! the first
12-chapter serials (1937) starred grant withers as jim. the more successful
feature films , made n the 50's, starred jonny weissmuller. ~just look at some
of these titles: "captive girl"(1950), "voodoo tiger"('52), "valley of the
headhunters"('53), "jungle moon men"('55), and ""devil goddess"('55)...
jungle jim is an american explorer roaming africa, india, and the middle east,
becoming embroiled in tribal wars, battling slavers, poachers, pirates, and
smugglers, often landing him in nasty spots. (i.e. buried chin-deep in sand,
covered in molasses, waiting for the "fierce jungle ants" to swarm all over
him.)    jim had a girlfriend, joan and a native sidekick, kolu, who were both
replaced later on by a hot 2-in-1 package named shanghai lil.

later ~ craig

I recall this as a T.V. series, but then I remember a number of the Republic
movie serials (the Rocketman was the favorite of all the neighborhood kids) as
"T.V. series".  All I really remember about Jungle Jim is Weismuller in khakis
diving off a cliff (and mucking about in a jungle).

Bruce