 Adventurers / 1155
Re: Would a general/pilot in WW1............
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Robbie Anderson writes:
Would a general/pilot in WW1 or around the times the Adventurers setting have
shoulder pad-thingys on them, like Capitan Redbeard in the Pirates? I have
created so far a German general/pilot, but I'm not sure if a pilot of WW1
would have those things shoulders. If anyone has an answer, please E-mail
me at: B50twice@aol.com.

   Well, I'm going to answer here, because others might like
   to know the answer too!  The short answer is yes and no.
   Yeah, not helpful, but it's true.

   The shoulder-thingies (called epaulettes or "shoulderboards")
   were never used by flight crews.  Baron von Barron wears them
   because, well, he's a Baron.  The epaulettes are fairly dressy,
   and they fell out of favour (IIRC) after the Franco-Prussian
   War for field soldiers.  In dress uniforms they remained common
   and can even be seen today in some of Europe's military cere-
   mony (and South America's--man, do they ever love epaulettes!).
   But a pilot--even a noble one, like Baron von Richtofen--would
   not likely fly with epaulettes under any circumstances.  The
   dress would be closer to what Harry Cane wears, because the
   cockpits were open, cold, and wet (at least on the European
   fronts--Arabia is another matter).

   The issue of uniforms at all for WWI pilots is also thorny;
   it took a little while for real uniform standards to be created.
   As many air auxiliaries were simply extensions of the armies
   below at first (even the naval squadrons--a real mess, to be
   sure), they often looked much the same, except with less
   mud, more black soot, and a significantly longer service life.

   (Incidentally, if you go to your local library, you can probably
   find pictoral books on WWI German uniforms--I know they
   exist in spades for WWII, but I'd be surprised if they don't exist
   for the First World War.)

   best,

   Lindsay.nl
   (a bona fide historian, no less)