 Administrative / Terms of Use / 404
Re: Sale at The Vault this week!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 04:18:53 GMT

Troy's Surplus Lego wrote:

While the hood is up on the charters, it might be nice to resolve the • .b-s-t
vs. .shopping questions too. (what is a shop vs. just a hobbyist • operation,
can and should shop owners post about their own stores, etc etc.)

I had always assumed that .shopping was for reports for / from stores with
actual physical retail operations (storefronts), and that everything else
went into .bst.  Todds comments about The Vault seem to refute this
assumption, but I think further clarification is required.

S@H specials would also not belong in .shopping if it is for places with
a retail outlet.

What is the difference between The Vault and S@H?

As for .brickshops and .bst, i'm of the opinion that sales announcements
still belong in .bst, even if you are selling throughBricklink.  .brickshops
was added at a time when Brickbay was still hosted at interland and the
reliability was mediocre.  My impression at the time was .brickshops was the
place to go to discuss said outages and other info related to the operation
of a shop on Brickbay/link or other related service.  Fortunately, Bricklink
doesn't have the outages like it used to, and operation questions seem to be
handled on Bricklinks internal message forums.  There probably isn't really
a need for .brickshops anymore.

There may need to be a place to discuss issues with BrickLink and
general discussion of brick shops. General discussion could occur in
lugnet.market.theory.

I'd like to suggest a new set of news groups, possibly in a new
hierarchy. That is support for technical support questions for off-site
locations. Places I think would be worthwhile here:

- .brickshelf
- .bricklink
- .legoshop

I would still like to see actual market posts broken down into:

.ebay for eBay announcements
.bricklink for BrickLink announcements
.shopping for announcements of sales and finds at any retail or online
shop not covered above
.wanted for requests (may cross post to buy-sell-trade if you are
offering items in exchange, but a such a post must have a list of
specific items wanted, you could also do things like offer credit at
your BrickLink store [in which case you would provide the link to your
store])
.buy-sell-trade for all other selling and trading activity (including
any auctions not run on eBay)

These groups would still exist:

.theory for discussion of general theory on buying, selling, and trading
.brickshops for discussion of the mechanics of brick shops
.jambalaya in case anyone still tries to play this experiment
.services for discussion of services such as PayPal
.appraisal for discussing the value of sets and parts with no intent to
immediately buy or sell (and the TOS should indicate that making such an
offer in response to a .appraisal post would be a violation of the TOS)
.shipping for discussing shiping methods, trials, tribulations, etc.

I could see .auction going away, or perhaps non-eNay auctions could be
contrained to there (in which case eBay auctions are announced in
.auction.ebay). Another way to use .auction is that an initial post for
a non-eBay auction is posted in bst, but any follow-ups (such as
announcements of current high bids) go in .auction.

The reason I want to separate eBay from all other auctions is that I
would like to easily see an auction should someone ever use a non-eBay
service to run one at this point. I don't really need to see posts about
eBay auctions since eBay is so easily searched (though every once in a
while, I do check out an auction someone announces).

At an absolute minimum, I would like to see .market.brickshops.bricklink
added, and all BrickLink adds be constrained to that group.

Frank