 Administrative / Terms of Use / 136
Re: This will get someone upset...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:29:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
I mean I could give a rat's butt what you do for a living. Is this
necessary?  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?

I don't disagree with you, but at the same time I think that people should be
allowed to have whatever signature they want.  I see it as a form of freedom
of expression.  I wouldn't want to stop people from posting with their chosen
signatures any more than I would want to stop you from addressing interesting
aspects of rodent anatomy in your own posts.

I think I learn more about people from their avocations than from what they
actually do for a living, but if others choose to define themselves this way -
who am I to say no to them?  To me, playing with Lego is living.  Sys Admin?
Probably not...

-- Richard

Points well taken Richard.  There are several ways of looking at my
comments.  Here is a recent direct email I received from this post
and my reply to this poor Canadian:

    #####

Dave Hylands wrote (me directly):

  Hi,

  Marc Cook wrote:
  > What I really see as bragging and I feel is really annoying is posting
  > your title or position at your company on Lugnet posts.
  >
  > I mean I could give a rat's butt what you do for a living. Is this
  > necessary?  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?

  And some people, like me, just configure their email program to
  automatically include the signature. I read lugnet using email, not using
  news.

  I don't consider it "bragging", I just consider it professional when dealing
  with others. I want to make sure that if somebody needs to contact me that
  they can. My title is on my business cards too (along with all of the other
  information included in my signature). Think of the signature as an
  electronic business card.

  My professional title is probably not relevant when I'm posting to lugnet,
  but I'm not going to create more than one signature and even if I did I
  would have to remember to switch back in forth. Email is an integral part of
  my life, and I don't don't differentiate work email from home email
  (especially since it all goes through the same email account). I probably
  deal with over 100 emails a day (I'm not bragging, it's just a fact), and
  chaning signatures all the time would be a pain.

  I generally dislike signatures that include graphics and other binary data.
  I would prefer to see things kept simple.

  Now you've heard my cents worth, and if you like you can read my signature
  too. I don't care if you do or not, and I certainly don't feel that I'm
  bragging by having it included. It's part of who I am. I'm sorry if you feel
  offended by it.

  --
  Dave_Hylands@creoscitex.com  http://www.creoscitex.com  3700 Gilmore Way
  Principal Software Developer Tel: (604) 451-2700 x2329  Burnaby B.C.

       ####

I write him back with this:

Wow -- the email configuration factor makes sense.  And email is essential to
life.  Like you, I receive 100+ emails per day in my job.   Based on what you
are telling me I would say you're excused (under article 5, section 11) from my
disgust of Lugnet users who post their business signatures.  I leave my
signature off 99% of the time during work.   When I email someone for
the first time or a large group at once I often will create an instant
signature that has my title and contact info.

It's interesting you chose to email me directly and not post this on Lugnet.
Damn I just read your signature.  This makes sense.  It says you're in Canada!

- Marc

     ####

Freedom of speech as a defense to the this signature problem (as I see it)
is an interesting angle.  Lugnet is really not about free speech per se.
I mean they set aside areas where you can speak freely as long as it's
on topic (or down right off topic in lugnet.off-topic).  But where
you speak is controled.  In that same light I think it's important to note
that unecessary signatures added to posts...um...say in Star Wars just
add useless text.

Again I am only really speaking of company and job signatures.  In Dave's
email he clearly stated that work and home email are one in the same.
Perhaps he's posting from work.  Should his boss know of this?  Oh but
wait he's a Principle Software guy so he's probably excused.

I'm not preaching that one should have seperate email set ups depending
on what their doing.  I mean I'm a victim to this by people I work with.
They insist on including their signature in every damn email they send
including a simple "do you want to go to lunch?" query.  I don't need
to be reminded 20 times per day that they are a "Group Product Manager".

I guess it's not for me to say. Lugnet ultimately will probably never
try to inforce a policy of preventing people from posting their signatures.

To me it's useless garbage included in a post.  Kind of like my rambling now.
But I'm still talking about my post, and I'm not adding clutter at
the end with "where i work" and "what i do"...

Dave's other arguement is he wants people to be able to reach him.  If he
was so important (as his signature implies) people will know him, and
God have mercy on them if they _don't_ know how to reach him.  At least
by now --.  I mean I guess I could see the perma signature file for
a sales reps.  But a software developer?

Ah the arguement of bandwidth.  These messages have to be stored somewhere.
And while small as each message is -- each extra digit of text adds to
the bytes of each post.

If signatures of off-topic nature were removed from all existing posts
I'm sure Lugnet might find 30-40 megs more hard drive space.

- Marc